Loving Kindness Meditation
People often find some difficulty in caring for themselves, in receiving love, in believing they deserve to be happy. Loving kindness meditations point us back to a place within, where we can cultivate love and flourish. Developing care towards ourselves is the first objective, the foundation for later being able to include others in the sphere of kindness.
This loving kindness practice involves silently repeating phrases that offer good qualities to oneself and to others.
1. You can start by taking delight in your own goodness---calling to mind things you have done out of good heartedness, and rejoicing in those memories to celebrate the potential for goodness we all share.
2. Silently recite phrases that reflect what we wish most deeply for ourselves in an enduring way. Traditional phrases are:
3. Repeat the phases with enough space and silence between so they fall into a rhythm that is pleasing to you. Direct your attention to one phase at a time.
4. Each time you notice your attention has wandered, be kind to yourself and let go of the distraction. Come back to repeating the phrases without judging or disparaging yourself.
5. After sometime, visualize yourself in the center of a circle composed of those who have been kind to you, or have inspired you because of their love. As you visualize yourself in the center of it, experience yourself as the recipient of their love and attention. Keep gently repeating the phrases of loving kindness for yourself.
6. Keep repeating the phrases for a few more minutes. Each time you do so, you are transforming your old hurtful relationship to yourself, and are moving forward, sustained by the force of kindness.
Simple Breath Meditation
Chose a quiet place. Sit comfortably on the floor, or in a chair, or lie on your back.
Rest your hands in your lap, on your knees, or at your sides.
Allow your eyes to close gently.
Simply notice the natural rhythm of the breath.
When you notice your mind wandering, gently return your awareness to the breath.
This exercise can be done as short as ten minutes to refresh, or longer for extended relaxation.
May I live in safety.
May I have mental happiness (peace and joy).
May I have physical happiness (health, freedom from pain).
May I live in ease.